In this article:
In this article:
- On a Windows operating system, joining the Twingate network fails
- No other VPN is installed
- No other TAP adaptor is present
- The Twingate TAP adaptor is present and listed on the interface list but in the description it lists something other than
Twingate TAP-Windows Adapter V9
- Usually another software using TAP adaptors will have been installed or still be installed
- The Twingate.log shows:
2022-09-12 [ERROR] ClientPreconnectionChecksRunner.CallService ClientPreconnectionChecksRunner.Start failed. TapAdapterExistence details: Twingate System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Twingate.Client.Common.PipeService.Contracts.ConnectionFaults.PreconnectionFault]: Twingate (Fault Detail is equal to Twingate.Client.Common.PipeService.Contracts.ConnectionFaults.PreconnectionFault).
- The Twingate.Service.log will show errors like this one:
[ERROR] ConnectionService.RunPreconnectionChecks Connect preconnection check failed Twingate.Client.Common.PreconnectionChecks.Exceptions.PreconnectionException: Twingate adapter is missing from the computer
- Reinstalling Twingate and even cleaning the registry will not help
- The Twingate service cannot locate the TAP adaptor and the connection fails.
- If the other VPN is still installed, uninstall it as cleanly as possible.
- Back up the registry, just as recommended best practice, before making any changes to it.
- In the the registry, locate the key for our TAP adaptor (
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ROOT\NET\0000) and change the value for FriendlyName to
Twingate TAP-Windows Adapter V9.
- Reboot the computer.